Friday 3 June 2011

Cutthroat Island (1995)



A strange film it has been on my want to watch list for a very long time and on countless occasions I nearly went with it but never did. However I have instigated a new viewing policy and added it nearly at the top of the watch pile so when it came around I just watched it. I was probably very disappointed as I seemed to have from nowhere developed very high expectations from this Pirate film before Pirates of the Caribbean. Geena Davis, Matthew Modine and directed by Renny Harlin about the exploits and treasure seeking of a female pirate in Geena Davis. 

There was not an awful lot wrong with the film but again nothing really right about it, the story was quite complicated in a simple fashion with really obvious cliches and results. You knew what was going to happen and how it was going to happen so very little in the way of surprises. The performances were adequate with Davis trying to pull off the hardened pirate rather than the helpless woman and she failed at it quite badly but I think it was more to do with the story and the direction than her. 

This is a 2 star disappointment I have to say that the first Pirates of the Caribbean film is the film that this wishes it was even if it was made years before, I would love to know where my determination to see this film actually came from, maybe one day I will remember why I wanted to see it so badly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment