Sunday 5 August 2012

The Godfather: Part 2 (1974)


The second film the trilogy from Francis Ford Coppola and the first sequel to win the best Picture Oscar, as you will see from my review of part 1, earlier today. I am not the biggest fan of the original, so I had been told that watching the second part would make the whole film make sense and fall into place for me. You follow the continuing story of Al Pacino as Michael Corleone as he continues to run the family business moving more towards Vegas and illegal drugs.

In part two you also get Don Vito Corleone’s early story as you follow Robert DeNiro playing a young Don as he comes to America and starts his empire. This film is very much in the same line as the first part and I can believe that there is a version where both films have been edited and run together and I can imagine that they would work perfectly well. I have to say that the film making is excellent, the acting is fine with all of the cast returning but the story did not engage me. Yet one of my favourite films is Goodfellas and I love the idea behind the Gangster genre I can only presume that I am missing something, perhaps it is the hype and expectation that I am missing.

Overall disappointed that this film is not as good as I expected but unsure how to feel, am I wrong? Or is everybody else wrong? Have people just bought in to the fact that many people say it is the greatest film in the world or have I seen to many films that makes me view it as a copy when in fact it was an original? Who knows, I know that at some point I will watch these again as it baffles me as usually I do enjoy the classics but at the moment this is a 6 out of 10 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment