Wednesday 10 August 2011

Super 8 (2011)


So the film from Steven Spielberg and J. J. Abrams is finally here and i went to see it at the cinema as all Steven Spielberg films should be seen there as I think that he is the quintessential film maker. I knew very little of this film going in and have to say that the hype worried me, how can a film from the master of subterfuge J. J. Abrams be that good when all of the advertising is so subtle.

Now I feel I gave this film a fair going but did make a throw away comment just before the film started that at the end I thought I just about nailed it with that one comment. The comment I made was "JJ is remaking E.T. with Mr Spielberg, lucky him." now it is not really a remake of E.T. but thinking about this film it is really a cross of  E.T. and Cloverfield and I cannot get this out of my head. I will say that the start of the film pulled me in there were enough questions going on that I was like oooh I wonder what that means and I wonder how it will all fit together. I have to say that the Train wreck was epic and immense and looked cool, but hey the car was untouched which was convenient.

I feel that this film is over hyped from the outset and the story is a mash up of 2 works from these directors and I feel cheated for some reason. I have no idea what I wanted but I don't think it was this. For that reason I am going to say 2 stars and the only reason it is not 1 star is the performances and effects are worth more than 1 star/ Ultimately I might be wrong about this and I will see it again on DVD but at the moment this is a failure for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment