Saturday 4 February 2012

Hanna (2011)


Film of 2012 #23
No Spoilers

When this film came out at the cinema I was slightly intrigued to see it but not enough to actually make it so when I got the chance to see it at home I took it and I enjoyed it but it went in a strange direction near the end that while it was fun and kept me interesting there was a jumbled cut down feel to the film like there was more explanation and it was trying to say something but chunks were missing and it could not decide what it wanted to be or say. You have Saoirse Ronan a teenager raised by her father in the forest taught to fight and survive and you see her thrust in to the real world and the fact that she sees so many things that she just does not understand. 

Now the problem I have with this film is part of the story, Eric Bana who plays her father is training her for a mission yet I do not think that he does all that he can to prepare her for what he has asked and requires her to do. You have Cate Blanchett playing a CIA operative that was Eric Bana's handler before he went off the map and she is clearly hiding something. There is also a couple of spoilers in the trailer that meant when I saw the film the impact of these is totally lost. There are several loose ends in the film that are unresolved and they bothered me that they were left. There is very little actual explanation of what is going on or why they are doing what they are doing and the fact that Hanna is scared by the TV and fan shows me that Eric Bana's character did not go as far as he should have and in that I lost any sense of belief in the characters or the story line and was not that bothered about how it was going to end. 

The performances from Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett are all fin to me there is an issue with the direction and the story this is a 2 star film not really worth seeing but i would love to hear other points of view, is it just me or is there something wrong with this film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment