Saturday 18 February 2012

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004)


Film of 2012 #35

The sequel to one of my favourite films of all time, I was always going to be disappointed by this film. I have to say that it did not try and fully replicate the original but there were hints with voice-over and recruitment adverts and a couple of call backs to the original but it goes it's own way. The film follows on from the first film but there are no original cast members and it follows a new unit. I like this idea, I do not think that they necessarily did it well but it was a good idea not to try and copy the original film. 

You follow a group of Mobile Infantry that are cut off from the main attack and they end up holed up in a outpost that was previously overrun by bugs. When their general turns up with 3 soldiers from another unit things start to go wrong from within the group. The film try's to expand the universe from the first film and the book created with the continuing war against the bugs. The main problems with the film though is the execution of the characters and the overall story is quite shambolic and there are quite a few obvious plot holes within the story-line. 

With a third film straight to DVD and remake on the cards I am happy to see the universe created for Starship Troopers expanded and continue to be explored. I do not know if they can hit the heights of the original film or if a remake was to try and stick closer to the book, if it would work as well in a film but I do enjoy the world that has been created and enjoyed reading the book which I review here. This film though in itself is not worth seeing unless you are interested to see the ideas they are trying to explore in the world and I give it 2 stars for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment