Sunday 15 April 2012

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)



Film of 2012 #65


I think I had heard of this film and this is why when I saw it on the TV I decided it would be worth a watch, but I think all I had heard was the name and a very basic premise, this made it so much better. Leslie Vernon invites a university film crew to document him, as he tries to become the next supernatural serial killer. The film starts with a brief history of Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger and it sets the tone for the whole film. 

It starts as a documentary with your female lead interviewing Leslie and trying to find out what he is trying to achieve and he takes them on a tour and shows them his plans. This film is an excellent idea and take on the slasher film, it is from the point of view of the killer and what he is hoping that his antics will achieve and how he thinks out everything, so that what you see in the slasher film from him knowing where people will go, to weapons not working. It really is well executed. There are some flaws especially with the acting but there is a couple of really nice touches that appealed to me as a fan of the slasher genre. 

Overall this is a fantastic new take on the slasher film genre, I highly recommend it to you if you have any love for the slashers and the horror genre, not perfect but still a solid 4 star recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment