Thursday 30 June 2011

X-Men:First Class (2011)


So after hearing some excellent reviews about the latest installment of the X-Men franchise I was keen to see it on the big screen, throw in James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender and I was sold on seeing it. I really enjoyed it there were enough mutant powers with enough weaknesses that you did not think well they would rule the world. The performances in the film from the other characters was also very good with January Jones as Emma Frost, Rose Byrne as Moira McTaggert, Nicholas Hoult as Hank all standing out to me and Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw was truly brilliant.

The only flaw in the film for me is the fact that it is a prequal, you suffer in the fact that you know where it is going to end up so the story is fully reliant on the journey and often that is not enough. This manages it well enough for me, I think that it is probably because i do not know that much about the X-Men except from the cartoon and the previous films, but I hope that it leads to other films in this world, even a continuation from the end of this film ignoring what happened in the original 3.

So I am saying 4 stars for this, the 1 star taken off as I was not that gripped, the threat scenes lose a lot as you know who survives to the end as it is a prequal.

No comments:

Post a Comment