Friday 1 April 2011

The Fighter (2010)



TV Texas, 20th March 2011.

Now this recommendation came to me from a very strange place, my father, now I am a movie fan and go to the cinema about once a week and watch as many films as I can, my Dad goes once a year and is usually really unimpressed with whatever he sees. He went to see the Fighter and actually took the time to recommend it to me, so I had to try and see it.

I got the opportunity while in Texas with @Timbo_T we bought it on box office and sat down to watch it with beers in hand, I have to say that I loved it, the only thing other than my Dad's recommendation was an answer Micky Ward gave in an interview that Christian Bale played his brother to perfection "It was like looking at Dicky." To paraphrase his answer, so I was piqued with the recommend from my Dad was keen to see it and I loved it.

Mark Whalberg not always the best actor actually gives Micky some character and you feel for and learn to like him and understand the decisions he makes. The based on a true story always gets to me but this story as one I was vaguely aware of (they had made a movie about it) was compelling and enjoyable. The people are real and the struggles and decisions they make are real and you actually want them all to win, the Oscar nods were well worth it.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars, again I only drop the 1 star due to based on a true story which always means that there might be lies and also the imagination of what could have been is lost to me, go and see this film as soon as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment