Friday 29 July 2011

The Descent (2005)

This is Neil Marshall's 2005 Caving horror film that sees a group of experienced thrill seekers venture into a cave, they also have some other issues on the go within the group which leads to some excellent tense scenes. The story takes them into the cave and when they discover that they are lost and the claustrophobic atmosphere that Marshall creates is terryifying. I have to say that the group of cavers are all female and this makes it an interesting dynamic but I do not think it defines the terror it just happens to be a group of female cavers.

The effects are good as most of the scenes are in darkness and therefore you can forgive a lot but what you do see is done really well, I have seen this film a couple of times and the performances from the lead actors is very good. One downside I have heard is that there are 2 endings a UK one and a US one, this bothers me somewhat as this means that the 2 films are almost completly different to each other as the conclusion a lot of the time is what makes a film and it does part of the way in this film.

Overall I really enjoy this film there are some really good scares and scenes in it and it is well worth watching, a solid 4 star rating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment