Monday 16 July 2012

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

From Stanley Kubrick comes the sexually charged thriller starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman as a married couple. They start by getting ready for a night out and there is a couple of good moments that sum up their relationship that are really very clever and I was impressed from the start. Nicole Kidman admits that she once thought about and almost cheated on Tom. This sends him on a wild night looking for and trying to get involved in any form of sexual adventure he can.


This film is quite tense and while I was hooked in early it never really reached those heights again. While all the acting is good and the film itself looks good, it is quite complicated and I feel it gets a bit lost as it approaches the end of the film. I think though that this is part of what Kubrick was trying to achieve in making the film, you only really know what Tom does so you are supposed to feel as confused as he is, if this is the correct idea then it is done very well but it is something that I struggled with.

In the end the film comes back to the start and I liked that fact that the reading at the beginning while is accurate is also very wrong and you and Tom and Nicole both realise this and you can see where it is going after the credits role and this is good film making. Now for a recommendation, I think that certain people will love it and others will hate it, which in essence makes the rating easy, it is 3 stars but I think you will have to decide for yourself if you want to see the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment