Tuesday 24 July 2012

Shutter Island (2010)



Starring Leonardo DiCaprio in the fourth film he has worked with Director Martin Scorsese, this film has Leo depicting a US Marshall as he and his partner played by Mark Ruffalo go to Shutter Island which houses a prison for the criminally insane. They have been sent to investigate the disappearance of one of the female inmates but is there more going on there than meets the eye? You follow Leo as he tries to figure out what has happened at the prison and what might be hidden there.

The first time I saw this film the impact of the twist was awesome, I was a bit distracted as it appeared that it was going to be a random reason for a disappearance and while I could see something was going on from what I could see I did not expect or see what was coming and it blew my mind. I have heard that some people guessed what was happening but for me it was out of the blue other than the knowledge that something had to be happening. Overall if you can see this knowing there is a twist but not what it is I think that you will appreciate the acting with Leo and Mark Ruffalo you have Sir Ben Kingsly, Max Von Sydow, Jackie Earle Haley and Emily Mortimer all playing excellent characters.

This is a film that I recommend, especially if you enjoy mysteries and thrillers, you will appreciate this and if you can spot the twist let me know, I would love to hear how you came to the right conclusion without it being a guess. Based on the early nods you are supposed to guess that something is up and even on second watch I still appreciated this film and would recommend you see it, this is a strong 9 out of 10 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment