Thursday 5 July 2012

The Monster Club (1981)



Starring Vincent Price, Donald Pleasance and John Carradine this is an anthology film that has 3 short films about cross bread monster creatures and the interlinking story has some musical interludes. This film is strange, I thought that it would be a horror film but did not know that much about it but with Vincent Price I was looking forward to it. It is based upon the stories of R Chetwynd-Hayes who I learned all about listening to Hypnobobs episode 18. 


This film is aimed at children and I will be honest and say that I was not aware of this as I watched it and I was very disappointed as it was not what I thought it was going to be. So if you watch it go in knowing it is aimed at a younger audience. The first story is about a vampire and the squad lead by Donald Pleasance who come to get him. The second story gets a bit creepy about a couple that try to rob a creature who whistles and the final story is about a film director that goes to find a location for his film and he finds trouble. The surrounding story is an enjoyable part with Vincent Price and John Carradine, however weirdly there is a musical segment between every story and there are 4 songs played out in full.


Overall this film is not great perhaps it will be better with better set expectations, however it is worth seeing if you like anthologies or enjoy seeing horror from the eighties aimed at a younger audience this is a low 3 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment