Tuesday 31 July 2012

Red State (2011)



From Kevin Smith his venture in to “Horror”, well that is how it was originally sold when I settled down to watch it. Your basic story starts with three male teenagers, played by Michael Angarano, Kyle Gallner and Nicholas Braun. They are looking to get laid and via a contact site they meet Sara played by Melissa Leo. This leads to them being captured by an extreme church that are portrayed as lunatics lead by Michael Parks. Then the story takes a switch and you end up with a stand off between the church and the Officials lead by John Goodman.


I had heard mixed reviews of this film and was not really that sure what it was about other than what the trailers tell you which is a bit jumbled to what the film actually is. To me it is a look at the world from a couple of view points, you have the Church with their beliefs and how they want to live their lives however wrong you may perceive that and the officials who are following orders and their questions around those orders. You have some quite shocking actions played out by both sides that will catch you off guard. Overall I found it an engaging film that took me on a roller-coaster ride of entertainment and thought provocation which is part of what I presume Kevin Smith was trying to achieve.


Overall I really enjoyed this film and would recommend that everybody gives it a look, the ending is interesting and I have heard that there was something different planned that made it impossible which I would actually have enjoyed as much as the actual ending. I have heard many people think that Smith got it wrong but overall I think he got a message out on this thoughts on both sides of the argument and I give this 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment