Monday 30 July 2012

Fantastic Mr Fox (2009)



The stop motion animation from Wes Anderson sees a telling of the classic Roald Dahl children’s tale of Fantastic Mr Fox. With an all star voice cast including George Clooney as Mr Fox, Meryl Streep as his wife with Jason Schwartzman as Ash, Bill Murray as Badger, Willem Dafoe, Owen Wilson and others. The film follows the book in a basic way with several alterations, these are needed when converting a book for the big screen.

When you have a film adapted from a book, if you know the book you always compare what they left out and what they added to see if you as a fan of the book agree. Well I like what they did with the additions, I have to say that the very end of the book while very unrealistic is how I imagine the ending everytime but that would not work in a film sense. The additions of the challenges between son and the cousin is good and interesting and I think that overall the story and additions lead to a good film. I did not like the wearing clothes but still being animal, especially with the eating, did not work for me I prefer the full animal or the full animal acting like an animal.

The animation is the next thing with this film and I have to say that it bothered me on some level. They tried to get the realistic movement with the stop motion and overall the look of it was good but what the fur does just got to me and I did not like it. That being said overall this film is a middle of the road venture, some good things some not so good, but due to the love of the original story which they honour this is an above average film so a 6 out of 10 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment